It's Not so HOT, But My Poor Lawn
Every August, cool season lawns look pretty bleak in Oklahoma. I guess the term, "Cool Season Lawn" should give it away. The best practice is in September to Overseed the damaged turf, predominantly Tall Fescue, to create a full lawn.
How to overseed in Tulsa
It is easy to Overseed if you follow the right steps. Follow these steps and you are almost guaranteed to have a lawn that is the envy of your neighborhood.
- Have a soil test - OSU Extension offers this service, however it takes severals weeks. Follow their corrective recommendations.
- Mow short - Lower the mower to cut lawn as short as possible. This may have to be done increments. Remove clippings. Seeds grow in soil, not in grass thatch
- Aerate the soil - If you suspect you have even a minor problem, aeration offers the best solution to use less water, create deeper roots, and overall improve the health of your lawn. There are two types of Aeration- Mechanical & Liquid. We prefer the Liquid aeration using SoilTech polymers based product. SoilTech solves soil compaction, poor drainage, and poor mechanical aeration results.
- Blends are Best - Choose a blend of several different varieties of seed. My favorite is Heartland Supreme Tall Fescue with Bluegrass. This has 5 different varieties and has performed the best of any I have used over the last 5 years.
- Seed at a reasonable rate - I use about 5-7 pounds per 1,000 square feet when using Heartland Supreme.
- Fertilize - The best types of fertilizer are slow release with trace elements. The trace elements are like One-A-Day vitamins for Turfgrass. Milorganite is my choice. Apply the fertilizer imeadiately after seeding.
- Proper Watering - Three stages of watering will produce the best results. Seedling - short cycles two- four time daily for 7-14 days. Establishment - Once daily for 7-14 days. Maturity - once you have mowed for the first time, try to only water every other day. Roots need to go deeper and they need a dry time. click this link for a great article on watering. Watering blog
Follow these instruction that we have hundreds of times and your lawn will look great!!
Tell us you story below.
- Aeration Re